Hazardous Waste


Once a year Council holds a household hazardous waste collection. This is an opportunity for residents to deposit household quantities (less than 20 litres or kilos per type) of potentially hazardous household items. The collection is held in a central location, and residents may deposit their items there. Businesses may also use this collection (by prior arrangement with Council), but will be charged at the commercial rate for their type of waste.

If you would like more information on which items are acceptable, call Council on 6285 6268 or the Clean Out hotline on 13 15 55 or visit www.cleanout.com.au.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is the next HHW collection being held?

8 October 2016

Where is the collection being held?

In the Collett Street carpark, Collett Street, Queanbeyan.

How do I use the collection?

Collect unwanted hazardous items from around your home.

  • Package in secure sealed containers. Never mix different items.
  • Label each container clearly with what is inside. If you don't know, label 'unknown'.
  • Drop items off at the collection-details shown above.

What can I drop off?

The following items will be accepted: pesticides, fungicides, batteries, oxidisers, weed killers, paints and varnishes, household cleaners, fuel, oils, sharps (syringes), poisons, solvents, acids and alkalis, pool chemicals, gas cylinders, medicines, fertilisers and smoke detectors.

What can’t I drop off?

The following items will not be accepted: asbestos, explosives, clinical waste and radioactive material.

How do I get more information?

Call Council on 6285 6246, or the NSW Household Hazardous Waste Collection hotline on 1300 78 78 70, or visit www.cleanout.com.au, and watch your letterbox and local papers for details.