Working on roads


Workmen Ahead Sign

Applying for Work on Local Roads - Section 138 Certificate

Persons requiring to carry out activities or work, below or within a public road reserve (including the footway) in Queanbeyan must seek the consent of Queanbeyan City Council prior to the commencement of the activity or work. Queanbeyan City Council provides consent for activities or work on a public road by way of issuing a completed and signed Section 138 Certificate from Council’s City Infrastructure Group. This certificate provides conditions, such as provision of suitable traffic control, in which the consent for the activity or work is given.

Further information on obtaining consent is provided in Council’s Information Sheet for Persons Requiring Work and Structures on a Public Road.

Applying for Work on Classified (State) Roads – Road Occupancy Licence (ROL)

Classified roads in Queanbeyan are:

  • Bungendore Road
  • Monaro Street
  • Farrer Place
  • Canberra Avenue
  • Lanyon Drive
  • Yass Road

Persons requiring to carry out activities or work on Classified or State roads must obtain a Road Occupancy Licence from the Road & Maritime Services (RMS). The RMS defines a road occupancy as any activity likely to require the road to be used in such a way as to affect traffic flow, or an off road activity that affects traffic flow. A road occupancy may involve the closure of traffic lane(s).

Examples of road occupancies are:

  1. Road maintenance such as re-surfacing, or line-marking
  2. Lane closures around a building site (as a hazard reduction) or to get cranes or other equipment in and out,
  3. Filming activities possibly involving lane / road closures. Filming may also be considered a special event – confirmation with the RMS’s Planned Incident Unit may be required,
  4. Filming from an adjacent vehicle,
  5. Grass cutting along median strip possibly requiring the road shoulder or a lane to be closed,
  6. A vehicle towing an extra wide load (eg: trailer carrying a house) is also a road occupancy, even though it’s moving. Note: NSW Police may need to be contacted for wide loads.

The planning, coordination and licensing of road occupancies are the responsibility of the Planned Incident Unit at the RMS’s Transport Management Centre.

Application packs for RMS Road Occupancy Licences can be found on the RMS website.


Traffic Control

Contractors wishing to conduct work on Council’s footway or roads or road related areas, are required to set up suitable traffic control measures. A traffic control plan from a RMS accredited designer must be submitted to Council’s City Infrastructure Group so that assessment of the suitability of the traffic control arrangement may be completed prior to its set up and prior to works commencing.

Carparks open to the public (whether Council or privately owned) are also considered as road related areas. Work in these carparks will require traffic control measures and a traffic control plan.

Further information on Traffic Control is provided in Council’s Information Sheet for Traffic Control Plans (TCPs).

Click here to download a copy of Council's Traffic Control Plan Application Form.

Utility Services

Queanbeyan City Council has adopted a Code of Engineering Practice to standardise procedures for work related to utility services on public road reserves (eg. Telecommunication, Gas and Electricity services).

The Utilities Code of Practice has drawn on Council’s previous Utility Services Code of Engineering Practice and various documents prepared by the NSW Streets Opening Conference and takes into account the previous agreements made between Council and Utility Service providers.