8 May 2015
Queanbeyan City Council's draft Operational Plan 2015-16 and draft Schedule of Fees and Charges 2015-16 have been placed on public exhibition for 28 days.
The draft Operational Plan 2015-16 outlines Council's proposed budget for the forthcoming financial year and also details the projects and services Council will be undertaking. The draft Schedule of Fees and Charges includes proposed rates, charges for water, sewer and waste services along with all other services provided by Council.
"Council will be seeking comments from the community during this exhibition period and all comments will be presented to councillors for consideration prior to the final documents being adopted at Council's meeting on 24 June," Queanbeyan Mayor, Cr Tim Overall said.
"The draft Operational Plan represents the third year of Council's four-year Delivery Program and promises to be another productive year for Council as we move towards achieving the goals set out in the Delivery Program."
Key points of the draft Operational Plan 2015-16 include:
- The draft budget shows Council is predicting a cash surplus of $994 for 2015-16. The draft budget includes total expenditure of $113,052,039 and total income of $99,984,803. The expenditure figure includes the non-cash item of depreciation which in 2015-16 is valued at $13,068,230. With depreciation removed, it leaves Council with a predicted cash surplus of $994.
- Capital works program is valued at $11.7 million. Includes funding for CBD improvements, road maintenance, concept design for a Regional Sporting Complex, planning for upgrades to the Queanbeyan Sewage Treatment Plant and a number of park upgrades.
Key points of the draft Schedule of Fees and Charges:
- In general, rates will increase by 2.4% in line with the rate pegging limit set by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal
- Change to the tiering of Council water consumption charges. The changes see tier one increase from 40kl per quarter to 44kl per quarter and the price per kilolitre being $2.97. Tier two is for usage above 44kl per quarter and is charged at $4.56 per kilolitre.
- Introduction of a Water Meter Size Reassessment (WMSR) option. This fee has been introduced on the recommendation of Council's Rates and Charges Advisory Committee. The WMSR recognises that the meters currently installed in some properties may not reflect the water requirements of those properties. Since access fees and charges are linked to water meter size, a process which enables reassessment is required to ensure that these fees are fairly charged within the city. Click here for information sheet and survey.
- No increase to waste charges due to Council's new waste collection contract.
- Most fees and charges will increase by 2.7% in line with CPI.
- Stormwater Levy to increase by $5 per annum for all rating types. The levy will increase to $20 for residential and business properties and $12.50 for residential strata/flats and business strata units.
The draft Operational Plan 2015-16 and draft Schedule of Fees and Charges 2015-16 will be on public exhibition from Friday 8 May 2015 until Friday 5 June 2015 and can be viewed at the following locations:
- Council's Customer Service Centre at 257 Crawford St
- Council's Library in Rutledge St
- Council's website
Comments on the draft plans will be accepted until 4.30pm on Friday 5 June 2015 and can be submitted via:
- email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- post to PO Box 90 Queanbeyan NSW 2620
- in person to 257 Crawford St, Queanbeyan