Food Safety


Food Regulation Partnership

Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council works in partnership with the NSW Food Authority to ensure access to safe and correctly labelled food.

The Food Regulation Partnership sets out the roles and responsibilities of local councils and the Authority and aims to:
  • Improve food safety coordination;
  • Enable speedy responses to food emergencies and food recalls;
  • Enable councils to recover costs of food regulation enforcement; and
  • Establish a food regulation forum and run regional network groups.

Under the partnership Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council undertakes a range of activities including:

  • Routine inspections of retail food premises;
  • Emergency Response (Including Urgent Food Recalls);
  • Investigation of Food Complaints; and ​​
  • Enforcement Action

Also Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council Environmental Health Officers attend the South East Regional Food Surveillance Network Group meetings to discuss issues across the region, receive updates on food regulation and participate in training sessions related to food safety.

For further information regarding the FRP, please phone the NSW Food Authority Helpline on 1300 552 406 or email or visit

Food Handling

Im Alert Title

Free Online Training for food handlers is now available by clicking the link above.

Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council works with the NSW Food Authority to help ensure that food for sale is transported, stored and prepared safely and that food for sale is labelled correctly. Surrounded by food every day it is easy to forget that food can be potentially dangerous if not handled and prepared correctly. Food we make for ourselves and others can result in illness unless we do our part to keep it safe.

The NSW Food Authority has just released a new video about the causes, symptoms and onset times of food poisoning which you can view the video below.

The NSW Food Authority has prepared a range of information for consumers about keeping food safe including at home, when shopping, cooking for others, at charity bbqs and during emergency events. See the Food Authority website for links and resources.

Enjoy your food but remember, once you leave the shop or market it is up to you to ensure it is safe.

Further information for Food business owners visit the Food Safety for your business webpage by clicking here.

Businesses selling food in the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional area must also be registered with Council. To register download the form here and return it to Council.

If you intend to supply food for sale at an event in the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional area you will need to submit the Temporary Event Food Application Form. Click HERE for the form.  Email the completed form to or bring into Council offices.

Food in Focus Newsletter

Scores on Doors

Scores on Doors is the NSW hygiene and food safety scoring program that displays the results of food premises regular inspections. It lets the public know how well local restaurants, takeaway shops, bakeries, pub bistros and cafes are complying with NSW hygiene and food safety requirements. For more information visit our Scores on Doors page.

Smoke-free Environment Act 2000

The Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 bans smoking in enclosed public places and certain outdoor public areas. These bans protect people from harmful second hand tobacco smoke - the smoke which smokers exhale after inhaling from a lit cigarette. The Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 bans smoking in the following outdoor public places:

  • a seated dining area
  • within 4 metres of a seated dining area on licensed premises, restaurant or cafe
  • within 10 metres of a food fair stall
  • within 10 metres of children's play equipment in outdoor public places
  • public swimming pools
  • spectator areas at sports grounds or other recreational areas used for organised sporting events
  • public transport stops and platforms, including taxi ranks
  • with four metres of a pedestrian access point to a public building

From 6 July 2015 mandatory prescribed ‘No Smoking’ signage must be displayed within a commercial outdoor dining area. Licensed venues (including clubs and hotels) and other businesses such as restaurants, cafes and shops can order free signage and other resources here.