Do I need a Development Approval


Exempt and Complying Development

Many types of minor development, such as, fences, pergolas and decks may not require development approval to erect if they meet set standards. This is called 'Exempt Development'.

Development that does require approval may be classed as 'Complying Development' if it meets set standards, allowing for a more streamlined approval process than a standard Development Application. Complying developments can include some changes of use, dwellings, ancillary structures, alterations and additions, and commercial and industrial works.

Standards for Exempt and Complying Development

The standards for Exempt and Complying Development are detailed in State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 ("the Codes SEPP").

The Department of Planning and Environment's website contains useful guidance information sheets on Exempt and Complying Development. Note: Some of the more relevant information sheets are listed below, however, please go to the Department's website for comprehensive guidance or contact Council's Environment Planning and Development section on 02 6285 6244.

Exempt Development Information Sheets

Below are some of the common types of minor development that may be exempt. Information sheets have been developed by the NSW Department of Planning and you are able to download them by clicking on the link above.      

  • Advertising & signage
  • Aerials & antennas
  • Balconies & decks
  • Carports & garages
  • Driveways
  • Fences
  • Pathways & paving
  • Patios & pergolas
  • Terraces
  • Satellite dishes