Plumbing and Drainage


Plumbing diagram and tools


The NSW Department of Fair Trading regulates plumbing and drainage works within NSW. However, Council conducts inspections throughout the Queanbeyan Local Government Area.

All plumbing and drainage work must comply with the National Construction Code - Plumbing Code of Australia and Australian Standard AS/NZS 3500. All work must be undertaken by a licensed plumber.

Approval to carry out plumbing and drainage works

You need to obtain approval from Council under Section 68 of the Local Government Act or in association with a Development Application if you propose to carry out any of the following works:

  • plumbing and drainage works associated with a new or existing building;
  • connection to any new or existing building to Council's reticulated sewerage system;
  • installation of an on-site effluent disposal system (septic or AWTS); and
  • stormwater drainage works.


Before a plumber/drainer can start work they are required to submit to Council a Notice of Work for Plumbing and Drainage Work two days prior to commencement. Council will then carry out the necessary inspections which include, but are not limited to:

  • all drainage work, both internal and external, of the building;
  • all waste water stack work;
  • all plumbing work; and
  • plumbing fit off.

Inspection advice sheets are left on site after the inspection is carried out to advise of the outcome of the inspection. If additional advice is required please contact Council Building Surveyors on 02 6285 6244.

Once the work is completed the plumber/drainer is required to submit to Council and the property owner a Certificate of Compliance for Plumbing and Drainage Work. The drainer is also required to supply to Council and the property owner a copy of a plan showing all drainage work completed.