Construction Certificates


Construction Certificates are required after Development Consent has been issued and before any building work is commenced on site. Building work means any activity on a site including; site clearance, earth-moving, excavation, the laying of foundations; the erection of any building. The Development Consent assesses the application in terms of the planning requirements where a Construction Certificate assesses the application in terms of its structural components. The Construction Certificate assesses the proposed work to make sure that it satisfies the requirements of the National Construction Code (BCA) and any applicable standards.

Who can issue a Construction Certificate?

A Construction Certificate can be applied for with Council or an accredited certifier. A Construction Certificate can only be applied for after the Development Consent has been issued however if Council is appointed to assess the Construction Certificate it can be applied for at the same time as the Development Application.

What information is required to lodge a Construction Certificate?

To lodge a Construction Certificate application you will need the Development Application plans and building specifications for the development. You may also be required to obtain a structural engineers design for the footing/slab and steel work. For more information a Council Building Surveyor can be contacted on (02) 6285 6244 or by visiting the Environmental Planning and Development section of Council at 257 Crawford Street, Queanbeyan. 

Office hours are between 8:30am and 4:30pm.

What else is required before work begins?

Before commencing any building or subdivision works, you are required to appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). You must give Council at least 2 days notice of your intention to commence work.

When will a Construction Certificate lapse?

A construction certificate lapses with the development consent.